Camp Summit endeavors to raise funds to relocate its facility to Sunset, Texas. The campaign will help us fulfill a dream of building this new camp ensuring that campers will have a safe and quality camp experience for many years to come.
Grassroots Effort to Relocate Camp
Camp Summit endeavors to raise funds to relocate its facility to Sunset, Texas. The campaign will help us fulfill a dream of building this new camp ensuring that campers will have a safe and quality camp experience for many years to come. We have acquired a beautiful piece of property located in Sunset, Texas. These 155 acres have many features plus the varying terrain make it ideal to carry on our camping program.
The Campaign for Camp Summit was launched in response to the following factors:
- Our campers deserve a facility that is equal to the quality of our staff and programs.
- Capacity – we need more room!
- The camp has been used lovingly for many years – it needs attention and renovation.
- For camp, rural is better, and our current neighborhood is growing more urban by the day.
- Our current landlords are accessing the natural energy located under our feet!
As It Stands Today
To date, $3.6 million has been raised from local foundations, individuals, and corporations toward relocating the camp to a more appropriate location. Under the leadership of Jennifer Staubach Gates and the Capital Campaign committee, these significant contributions represent the successful conclusion of Phase I of the campaign.
Recent accomplishments include:
- The Board of Directors has been expanded;
- The operations of Camp Summit continue to be strong and continue to grow;
- The lease has been re-negotiated with the owners of the land where the camp currently operates;
- National awareness of the plight of people with disabilities has placed a new, energized focus on their quality of life and the organizations that improve their lives;
- New programming has been implemented in response to the growing needs of campers and families.
Working with architects and site planners the Camp Summit team updated plans for the camp's relocation to Sunset, Texas.
As a result, it is clear at this time to build an appropriate, safe and sustainable camp the cash required will be between $11 and $13 million.
To ensure that the current approach is the most cost efficient a special committee of the Board was chartered to explore and evaluate all possibilities. A mid campaign study is underway and includes visiting with many current and prospective funders to discuss this level of campaign. We look forward to results of this study and a campaign update this summer.
How I Can Help
Making this dream come true will take help from individuals, foundations and the community. With your support we will enable children and adults to experience new and traditional camp activities, explore the outdoors and nature and embrace the simple joys of participating in a camping program designed specifically for their individual needs.
Help us take a step toward "A Peak at the Future" and make this dream a reality.
We welcome your energy and expertise in all areas as we strive to achieve our dream. There are many roles that volunteers are needed for including:
- Committee Members
- Advocates for the program
- Administrative projects in the office
- Assisting with Special Events
Support the Capital Campaign
You can make a huge difference in the lives of families, friends and people with disabilities by donating to our Capital Campaign.
Donations of all sizes are important to Camp Summit and will help us in achieving this dream.
To make a donation online to the Capital Campaign.
To make a donation to the Capital Campaign fill out and mail in donation form.
Contributions to Camp Summit, a tax-exempt organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, are deductible for computing income and estate taxes.
Location of New Camp
We have acquired a beautiful piece of property located in Sunset, Texas. These 155 acres have many features plus the varying terrain make it ideal to carry on our camping program.
Sunset is located northwest of our present site, bordering Wise and Montague Counties near Decatur. Plans for initial relocation of the camp include: a lodge and dining hall, medical facilities, a swimming pool and 3 cabin clusters that will house 9 cabins, administrative offices and on-site maintenance facilities.